NY National Guard Human Resources Banner

Instructions for NYARNG AGR Retiring Soldiers

What you need to do before retiring:

1. Use this retirement checklist to assist in completing all requirements.

2. Letter requesting retirement sent through chain of command to MNHF-AGR, JFHQ, Latham, NY 12110.

3. Contact your Unit Admin and update the following:

4. Complete updated SGLV through SOES within 1 year of retirement date: https://milconnect.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect/

5. You must complete the multi-day Soldier for Life - Transition Assistance Program (SFL-TAP) briefing at one of the following locations:

You may also register at your local Active Army facility by visiting the SFL-TAP Website:


Complete, signed DD 2648 is required to out-process.

6. Request medical records from records custodian at Medical Command (MEDCOM) at (518) 270-1549. Medical records will need to be picked up from the Watervliet Arsenal in Building 25. You will need to bring your medical records to the retirement physical which you must complete (MUST be within 6 months of RETIREMENT DATE) at one of the following locations:

7. Submit your DA 31 for 20 days Permissive Temporary Duty (PTDY)  (if granted by commander) and a second DA 31 for your transitional leave, ending on your retirement date. AGR Office will calculate remaining leave and correct dates for PTDY and Transitional Leave.

Transitional leave and PTDY must be approved in the FTSMCS Leave Log System.  Once entered and approved by Leave Log approval authority, the PTDY DA Form 31's must be saved and digitally signed in Block 11 by Soldier, Block 12 by Supervisor and an O-6 must digitally sign in Block 13. 

8. When you go for final out-processing, you also need to bring your CAC card and know your pin.

What MNHF-AGR will do for you:

1.  Consolidate your Active duty/AGR orders and DD 214's.

2.  Get your updated RPAS.

3.  Schedule your final retirement briefing (outprocessing) at the authorized Transition Center, before the start of your leave and/or PTDY.

4.  Send all documents to specified Transition Center for processing before you get there.

5.  Complete your retirement orders and forward orders to Soldier and specified Transition Center.

For additional information contact:

AGR Retirements NCO at (518) 786-4791. 



© NYS DMNA: NYNG Human Resources: AGR: Army: Instructions for NYARNG AGR Retiring Soldiers
URL: https://dmna.ny.gov/hro/agr/army/?p=1407175258
Page Last Modified: 16 Nov 22