Military Records Request
Standard Form 180 request for DD-214, through the National Archives:
- Use the “eVetRecs” system on the National Archives website - http://vetrecs.archives.gov/ to request Military Records or
- Download Standard Form 180 - Request Pertaining to Military Records and follow the instructions included in the document or
- Submit a request for military records by letter:
- Mail requests must contain enough information to identify the record.
- Certain basic information is needed to locate military service records. This information includes:
- The veteran's complete name used while in service (Last, First, MI)
- Service number or social security number
- Branch of service
- Dates of service
- Date and place of birth may also be helpful, especially if the service number is not known
- Federal law [5 USC 552a(b)] requires that all requests for records and information be submitted in writing.
- Each request must be signed and dated.
- The SF 180 may be photocopied as needed. Please submit a separate request (either SF 180 or letter) for each individual whose records are being requested.
© NYS DMNA: SF180 - Military Records Request
Page Last Modified: 15 Jun 15 (ba)