DMNA Home page New York State Governor's office New York State Governor's office NYS Governor's Home page NYS Adjutant General's Home page New York State Governor's office
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs

Military Records Request

Standard Form 180 request for DD-214, through the National Archives:

  • Use the “eVetRecs” system on the National Archives website - to request Military Records or
  • Download PDF Standard Form 180 - Request Pertaining to Military Records and follow the instructions included in the document or
  • Submit a request for military records by letter:
    • Mail requests must contain enough information to identify the record.
    • Certain basic information is needed to locate military service records. This information includes:
      • The veteran's complete name used while in service (Last, First, MI)
      • Service number or social security number
      • Branch of service
      • Dates of service
      • Date and place of birth may also be helpful, especially if the service number is not known
    • Federal law [5 USC 552a(b)] requires that all requests for records and information be submitted in writing.
    • Each request must be signed and dated.
    • The SF 180 may be photocopied as needed. Please submit a separate request (either SF 180 or letter) for each individual whose records are being requested.
© NYS DMNA: SF180 - Military Records Request
Page Last Modified: 02 Oct 13 (ba)
Contact Us  |   FAQ’s  |   Policies & Disclaimers  |   Site Directory  |   Upload Media  
English   español   中國的   русский   italiano   kreyòl ayisyen   한국의