Requesting a National Guard Aircraft Flyover
The Department of Defense policy may authorize flyovers for these aviation-related public events:
- Air Shows
- Events in observance of (and occurring within 7 days of) patriotic holidays (Armed Forces Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, POW/MIA Day, and Veterans Day)
“Missing Man” flyovers are performed only for funerals of rated pilots and aircrew members and are not covered in the Community Relations Program.
Fixed-wing aircraft (Airplanes) are requested through the Air Force:
Submit your request through the U.S. Air Force Aerial Events website: http://www.airshows.pa.hq.af.mil/.
Rotary-wing aircraft (Helicopters) are requested through the Army:
Complete sections I, II, III, V and VII of the DD2535 request for Military Aerial Support form and submit the form to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) responsible for your event location. To find the appropriate FSDO office, visit the FAA website.
Following Federal Aviation Administration review, your DD2535 will be sent back to you with Section IV completed and signed. You must then attach your signed DD2535 to an email and send it to the Public Affairs Office (MNPA), New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs (DMNA): email@example.com.
For assistance with this request process, contact the Public Affairs Office: 518-786-4581.
To determine if your flyover request has been approved:
- For Air National Guard Aircraft
Visit the U.S. Air Force Aerial Events website: http://www.airshows.pa.hq.af.mil/
Once your request has been approved, event organizers must request an aircraft through the New York National Guard Public Affairs Office, 518-786-4581.
- For Army National Guard Aircraft
A response will be sent by email or fax from the New York Army National Guard Public Affairs Office to the Point of Contact indicated on your submitted DD Form 2535 (block 9).
Notes on Flyover Requests:
- Your request should be submitted 90 days prior to the event to be considered for support. Less than 90 days’ notice greatly reduces the chance that support will be available.
Requests received within 30 days of the event will NOT be considered.
- Army and Air Force approvals are only for aircraft from the respective service. An organization wishing to have an event approved for either Army National Guard or Air National Guard aircraft must submit a request to each service (the Air Guard can only consider events approved by the Air Force and the Army Guard can only consider events approved by the Army).
- Aircraft availability depends on training schedules, mission requirements and crew availability. An approved request does not guarentee aircraft availability.
Static aircraft displays can be requested here.
National Guard Participation in Public Events (Military Vehicles, Color Guard, etc.) can be requested here.
© NYS DMNA: Requesting a National Guard Flyover
Page Last Modified: 25 APR 2023